GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, NO. 2023-010
RE-OPENED: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2023
|Posting Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2022||Application Deadline: Thursday, March 9, 2023|
|Position: Security Specialist, Operations/Security, Hughes Main Library||Salary: $18.42 per hour, plus benefits
Position work 37.5 hours per week.
Annual salary: approximately $35,923
|Status: Regular Full-time, Non-Exempt||Available: September 2022|
|Location: Hughes Main Library, 25 Heritage Green Place, Greenville, South Carolina 29601|
|Schedule: WKS 1 & 2: Mon. – Fri. 7:45a-4:15p
WKS 3 & 4: Mon. – Thurs. 12:45p-6:15p; and Fri. 9:45a-6:15p
Position works one weekend per month: Sat. 7:45a-6:15p. and Sun. 12:45p-6:15p. (When working the weekend, the employee is off one day the week before & one day the week after)
Under direct supervision of the Operations Manager, this position is responsible for performing a variety of security duties, some of a specialized nature, for the purpose of promoting safety and security for library system premises, property, patrons and staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills will be part of the interview process for this position.)
Ability to carry out assignments independently; exhibit tact, courtesy and good judgment; and work with technical equipment involved in the job. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff and the general public. Ability to maintain confidentiality of security-related issues, reports and records. Ability to use initiative, resourcefulness and make decisions with minimal supervision. Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills. Ability to use a personal computer for basic word processing, database searches and email. Knowledge of security methods/procedures and safety principles/ practices. Knowledge of laws and regulations related to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and life safety. General familiarity with the operation of public libraries. Customer service oriented. Ability to effectively present information to groups and individuals. Ability to communicate concepts, general information, and task-oriented information in oral, written, and electronic forms. Some Spanish language skill is desirable.
Use of personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement is required. Valid S.C. driver’s license, a good driving record, and a drug-free, non-criminal record. Evening and weekend work required. May be required to return to the library after hours in emergency situations and be on call in the absence of the Operations Manager. Under the County’s Substance Abuse Policy, the Library has designated this position as a safety sensitive position which requires pre-employment drug testing on applicants and random drug and alcohol testing on employees.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
High school graduation with three to five years’ experience related to security, emergency preparedness, safety and/or law enforcement duties.
Must have the ability to:
- concentrate for long periods of time
- speak clearly and distinctly
- hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
- hear audible alarms and notifications
- lift and move up to 50 pounds
- sit for brief periods of time
- walk and stand for long periods of time
- bend and stoop
- reach, grasp and use hands to touch, handle, or feel
- work outdoors in varying weather conditions
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day responsibilities of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Conducts foot patrols of buildings and exterior premises and property of assigned location, remaining highly visible and moving quickly from one area to another as appropriate (E).
- Observes all activities and behavior on library property and responds appropriately when necessary (E).
- Effectively communicates and enforces the Library Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures, and rules to patrons and staff members (E).
- Assists patrons and staff in emergency situations (E).
- Effectively communicates appropriate information related to security, as well as general library information in a tactful and professional manner (E).
- Provides a professional authoritative presence by maintaining a neat, clean appearance and dressing in a manner that commands respect (E).
- Deals with disorderly patrons in an effective manner; identifies and employs the most appropriate corrective measures that may include explaining alternatives to the inappropriate behavior, issuing verbal or written warnings, notifying parents or guardians, removing the patron from library property and calling law enforcement (E).
- Monitors annunciator panels for visual and/or audible notifications of trouble and/or failures of emergency generator, burglar and/or fire alarm equipment and notifies appropriate personnel (E).
- Responds to notification from card access system of unauthorized entry into stairwells, restricted access and/or staff only areas and takes appropriate action (E).
- Monitors, reviews and retrieves stored data and images from CCTV system (E).
- Responds to safety and security emergencies on a 24-hour basis for the library system upon notification to do so from the Operations Manager (E).
- Maintains and updates appropriate security reports, records and activity logs (E).
- Provides security for branch locations and special events.
- Conducts safety and security inspections of all library locations as assigned and notifies Facilities Maintenance Supervisor of any areas of facilities and grounds that need attention (E).
- Removes litter, debris and other discarded items from buildings, parking lots and grounds as part of patrol duties (E).
- Reviews and provides feedback for security related policies and procedures.
- Maintains relationships with various community agencies, i.e. local law enforcement, homeless shelters, etc.
- Maintains first aid and spill cleaning supplies.
- Obtains and maintains American Red Cross Instructor certification in First Aid and CPR and Preventing Disease Transmission, as assigned.
- Trains library staff in emergency procedures, use of fire extinguishers and first aid.
- Responsible for the setup and breakdown of meeting rooms at Main Library (E).
- Substitutes for couriers in their absence (E).
- Follows safe work methods to prevent injury (E).
- Performs tasks in accord with Library vision, mission and code of service (E).
- Performs other duties as assigned.