To be considered for this position, please complete an application by visiting gspairport.com/careers.
Salary Level 7
Hiring Range – $24.99/hr. to $31.36/hr.
Position Summary (Primary Function)
This position serves as a supervisory law enforcement representative of the District, performing all duties commensurate to this responsibility. This position is responsible for performing a variety of duties and tasks related to customer service and maintaining a secure and orderly environment for the protection of the Airport District.
Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Under limited supervision, patrols airport as required to oversee security activities.
• Supervises subordinates and relays pertinent information.
• Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service, and staffing levels.
• Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints; manages and investigates citizen complaints against employees; prepares reports and maintains administrative files; makes recommendations for disciplinary actions.
• Reviews reports submitted by other police employees and ensures the case is appropriately investigated, ensuring the report status is updated as necessary.
• Shall be available 24 hours a day in the event of an actual or potential emergency.
• Supervises routine arrests and booking activities, handles details of actions. Follows up with supervision as required.
• Investigates criminal offenses on the airport, attends court or other judicial sessions related to criminal offenses as required.
• Assists in patrols, traffic control, motor checks, and other police related duties as directed. Enforces traffic and parking regulations writing summons as necessary.
• Prepares incident reports, booking reports, accident reports, daily shift reports and other reports as necessary for the accreditation process.
• Assist other law enforcement agencies as necessary.
• Assists the general public, performs lockout, escort, and protection services as directed.
• Assists in the enforcement of the Security Plan and the Airport Emergency Plan requirements.
• Oversees maintenance and upkeep of police vehicles and other equipment.
• Ensure adequate coverage of shift.
• Verifies the hours worked by subordinates and submits them to the Police Captain in a timely manner.
• Responsible for any other duties asassigned from time to time by the Airport Police Captain and/or superior personnel.
• Mentos officers under his/her command
Education Requirements (Evaluation Factors: Skills, Education, Experience, and Ability)
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• At least three (3) years of active police work
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer is necessary, including skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, or Windows.
• A working knowledge of police administration and public relations A thorough knowledge of Federal, State laws and the Rules and Regulations of the Airport,
• Ability to manage and supervise others.
• This position requires skills in prioritization, organization, verbal communications and interpersonal relations, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must comply with the minimal physical fitness performance requirements of this department.
• Operate a police vehicle on patrol, non-emergency response, emergency response, or pursuit for the apprehension of suspects.
• Have the ability to discharge a firearm without undue risk to airport employees, tenants, and the public, and comply with all department firearms standards. Attend and qualify in all firearms training sessions.
• Must qualify with on and off duty weapons.
• Qualify with their weapons at least once annually, or as directed by the training officer.
• Handgun qualification requires the attainment of at least an eighty percent proficiency rating.
• May be required to walk or stand for long periods of time.
• Must have the ability to operate a motor vehicle and utilize radio equipment at the same time.
• Must successfully complete an annual medical physical designed for the performance and requirements of the job.
• Supervises assigned shift
• Valid Driver’s License
• Must maintain a safe driving record, on and off duty. Must not have more than two chargeable accidents in the past three years or more than two non-disqualifying traffic offenses in the past three years.
• Must withstand a 10-year criminal background check with no disqualifying convictions.
• Must meet the minimum educational standards required by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy. Must be certified by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Training Council before assuming duties as a Sergeant.
• Successful compliance of the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy Pre-testing, including psychological profile, and promotion fitness test, police officer selection test, polygraph exam, physical, drug/alcohol screening and field training program. Must meet the minimum educational standards required by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
• Diligence must be exercised when handling confidential information.
• Reasonable care for equipment/process will prevent injury/damage.
• Responsible for own work but must coordinate work with others.
• Physical Demand – Use of personal protective equipment is required. May be exposed to heat, cold, rain, snow, and a noisy environment. Must possess the ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as the apprehension and arrest of a suspect. Engage in sustained physical exertion and perform arduous work under adverse conditions and maintain physical fitness pertinent to the work.
• Mental and/or Visual Demand – Mental and visual demands are high and vary with function performed. Consistent mental attention needed to respond safely and efficiently.
• Attentiveness to work procedure will reduce potential risk of injury in work areas.
• Exposed to normal police environment and normal aviation environment.
• This position requires uncommon tours of duty to include but not limited to weekends and holidays, rotating shift assignments and overtime duty.
• Will be required to work shifts that may change from time to time.
• Will be subject to recall after normal duty hours.
The Greenville-Spartanburg Airport District is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.