GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, NO. 2023-048
Re-Opened: Friday, April 14, 2023
|Posting Date: Thursday, January 19, 2023||Application Deadline: Open until filled|
|Position: Library Assistant IV, Youth Services, Hughes Main Library, Works 4 mornings during the week. (See schedule below).||Pay: $16.40 per hour
Position works 16 hours per week
|Status: Regular Part-time, Non-Exempt||Available: February 2023|
|Location: Hughes Main Library, 25 Heritage Green Place, Greenville, South Carolina|
|Schedule: Mon., Tues., Wed., & Thurs. 8:30a-12:30p|
Under direct supervision, this position performs a variety of specialized duties for youth and their families, both in and out of the Children’s Area of the Hughes Main Library, at Branch Library locations, and/or outreach locations. May direct, assign, and coordinate duties of other staff to ensure efficient operation of the department. Conducts educational age appropriate programs, and may provide presentations to outside organizations. Work is performed in accord with the Library System’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Provides general circulation services, including registering new borrowers, updating patron records, placing holds, etc. (E)
- Assists patrons with use of print reference resources, with identifying and locating materials, with using the Library System’s online catalog and databases, and with searching the Internet. (E)
- Uses the Library’s integrated library system to process discharges, fill or clear holds, place or receive items in transit and maintain accurate status of items. Includes processing of system-generated reports. (E)
- Acts as a Team Leader, i.e. serves as the responsible party for the unit’s operation evenings, weekends, or as designated. (Full-time positions) (E)
- Reads and becomes familiar with children’s materials and reference tools to facilitate tasks. (E)
- Plans, develops, and presents programs as assigned. (E)
- Conducts library tours. (E)
- Represents the library at childcare and parenting fairs, PTA programs, and other outside events. (E)
- Promotes Library System use and services to caregivers and children. (E)
- Assists or acts as substitute for all Youth Services Programmers. (E)
- Assists with data entry, filing, and other related duties. (E)
- Assists with Summer Reading Program organization, materials distribution, records, and statistics. (E)
- Performs collection maintenance tasks and recommends materials for Youth Services collections. (E)
- Creates bulletin boards or displays.
- Instructs and demonstrates use of library equipment as needed. (E)
- Performs preliminary acquisition and bibliographic searching.
- Checks arrangement of materials on shelves to assure they are in proper order. (E)
- Sorts and shelves library materials according to their established filing arrangement.
- Assesses library materials for mending or repair needs or consideration for discard/replacement. (E)
- Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures and rules to customers. (E)
- Assists in maintaining serials using integrated online system.
- Cleans and dusts office/computer equipment, materials and shelves and assists in keeping the library clean and neat.
- Follows safe work methods to prevent injury. (E)
- Performs other related duties as required.