GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, NO. 2023-052
|Posting Date: Monday, February 6, 2023||Application Deadline: Monday, February 13, 2023|
|Position: Library Assistant III, Taylors Branch Library, Works 3 evenings during the week and every Sat. (See schedule below)||Pay: $14.39 per hour
Position works 20 hours per week
|Status: Regular Part-time, Non-Exempt||Available: February 2023|
|Location: Burdette Branch Library, 316 W. Main Street, Taylors, South Carolina|
|Schedule: Mon. & Thurs. 5:00p-9:00p; Wed. 5:00p-8:30p; and Sat. 8:30a-6:00p|
Employees in this position embody the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and coworkers feel invited, informed, impressed and inspired. They greet customers and coworkers with a welcoming smile, and they enthusiastically provide knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
- Knowledge of basic computer, mouse and keyboard use.
- Knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers and email.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripheral equipment, e.g. RFID pads, barcode readers, printers, etc.
- Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage Library processes.
- Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
- Ability to communicate concepts, general information and task-related information in oral, written, and electronic forms.
- Ability to learn, implement and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records, security related incidents and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services.
- Preferred: Bilingual – English/Spanish skills.
- Preferred: Touch typing skills.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Enjoys working with people and possesses a strong commitment to customer service.
- Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with the customers and coworkers.
- Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
- Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
- Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
- Possesses strong organizational skills and is detail oriented.
- Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
- Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
- Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked, and follows through until task is resolved.
- Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled and maintains a good attendance record.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university or Library Support Staff Certification through the American Library Association
- One year of experience working with the public in a customer service position
- Other combinations of experience, education and training that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted as long as the applicant has completed a minimum of 30 college credit hours through an accredited college or university
- Experience working in a library or formal learning environment
- ACT National Career Readiness Certificate (WorkKeys Assessments)
Must have the ability to:
- concentrate for long periods of time
- speak clearly and distinctly
- hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
- see and interpret all job-related materials
- operate Library equipment as assigned
- lift up to 25 pounds and push book carts weighing over 100 pounds
- sit for long periods of time
- stand for long periods of time
- walk, bend and stoop
- reach, grasp and use hands to touch, handle, or feel
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Assists customers with identifying, locating and using Library materials. (E)
- Provides general circulation services, including registering new borrowers, updating customer records, placing holds, checking out materials, etc. (E)
- Assists customers with the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases. (E)
- Uses the Library’s integrated library system (ILS) to process discharges, fill or clear holds, place or receive items in transit, and maintain accurate status of items. (E)
- Processes ILS reports to identify and retrieve items to fill hold requests and return expired holds to the collection. (E)
- Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures, and rules to customers. (E)
- Empties materials drops located inside and/or outside the Library. (E)
- Assesses Library materials for needed repair or repackaging and identifies items for discard/replacement review. (E)
- Collects and maintains appropriate records of fines and fees received. (E)
- Assists customers with current mobile device technology and assists them in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks. (E)
- Uses Library equipment proficiently and instructs and demonstrates use, including self-checkout stations, to customers as needed. (E)
- Provides readers’ advisory services. (E)
- Makes appropriate referrals to other Library units, agencies, etc., for information or materials not available at work location. (E)
- Sorts Library materials and shelves them according to their established arrangement. (E)
- Checks arrangement of shelved materials to assure they are in proper order. (E)
- Assists in conducting inventory of Library collections.
- Cleans and dusts Library equipment, materials and shelving; assists in keeping the Library clean and neat. (E)
- Assists customers in submitting interlibrary loan requests. (E)
- Retrieves Library materials as requested. (E)
- Moves and arranges Library materials under supervision. (E)
- Counts money in cash register and prepares cash collection count form.
- May process 14 day and leased books.
- May conduct presentations, orientation sessions and tours for groups.
- Assists with training of staff and volunteers.
- Accepts meeting space applications in compliance with policy and enters into calendar. If responsible for meeting space reservations, also approves applications and monitors calendar. (E) (Branches only)
- Promotes Library programs and assists customers in registering for them. (E)
- Engages customers by creating and maintaining displays that promote Library resources and services.
- Monitors and stocks brochure display and publicity items.
- Notifies appropriate coworker about low levels of supplies or, if assigned to monitor supplies, coordinates the ordering of supplies as needed. (E)
- May read book reviews and make acquisition recommendations to supervisor.
- May assist in various aspects of programming for young adults and/or adults, including planning, organizing, preparing materials, presenting and/or providing instruction.
- Participates in community events on behalf of the Library upon request.
- Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, etc. as requested by supervisor. (E)
- Follows safe work methods to prevent injury. (E)
- Performs other related duties as required.