GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, NO. 2023-072
|Posting Date: Thursday, April 20, 2023||Application Deadline: Thursday, May 4, 2023|
|Position: Librarian I (MLIS Degree Required), Simpsonville Branch Library||Pay: $41,829 per year, plus benefits|
|Status: Regular Full-time, Exempt||Available: May 2023|
|Location: Hendricks Branch Library, 626 NE Main Street, Simpsonville, South Carolina|
|Schedule: Mon. 8:30a-5:00p; Tues. & Thurs. 9:30a-6:00p; Wed. 2:00p-9:00p; and Fri. 8:30a-6:00p. Works a rotation of every 4th Sat. 8:30a-6:00p (Off the Fri. before)|
Employees in this position embody the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and coworkers feel invited, informed, impressed and inspired. They greet customers and coworkers with a welcoming smile, and they enthusiastically provide knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. As the person in charge in the absence of the manager, maintains efficient operations by providing support and guidance to paraprofessional staff and volunteers. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Provides reference service to library patrons, staff and others (E).
- Assists customers with identifying, locating and using Library materials. (E)
- Assists customers with the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases. (E)
- Provides general circulation services, including registering new borrowers, updating customer records, placing holds, checking out materials, etc. (E)
- Uses the Library’s integrated library system (ILS) to process discharges, fill or clear holds, place or receive items in transit and maintain accurate status of items. (E)
- Processes ILS reports to identify and retrieve items to fill hold requests and to return expired holds to the collection. (E)
- Uses Library equipment proficiently and instructs and demonstrates use, including self-checkout stations, to customers as needed. (E)
- Assists customers with current mobile device technology and assists them in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks. (E)
- Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures and rules to customers. (E).
- Opens and closes branch according to established procedures. (E)
- Directs, assigns and coordinates duties of paraprofessional staff and volunteers, and provides coaching and training as needed. (E)
- Reads book reviews and makes acquisition recommendations to supervisor. (E)
- Reviews and studies professional literature to keep abreast of developments in library and information science. (E)
- Assists in preparing work schedules and job assignments of lower level staff members.
- Assists the Branch Manager in planning for changes and improvements in unit operations.
- Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, etc. as requested by supervisor. (E)
- Makes appropriate referrals to other Library units, agencies, etc., for information or materials not available at work location. (E)
- Provides Readers’ Advisory services. (E)
- Assists in various aspects of programming for young adults and/or adults, including planning, organizing, preparing materials, presenting and/or providing instruction. (E)
- Promotes Library programs and assists customers in registering for them. (E)
- Empties materials drops located inside and/or outside the Library. (E)
- Assesses Library materials for needed repair or repackaging and identifies items for discard/replacement review. (E)
- Collects and maintains appropriate records of fines and fees received. (E)
- Accepts meeting space applications in compliance with policy and enters into calendar. If responsible for meeting space reservations, also approves applications and monitors calendar. (E)
- Sorts Library materials and shelves them according to their established arrangement. (E)
- Checks arrangement of shelved materials to assure they are in proper order. (E)
- Assists in conducting inventory of Library collections. (E)
- Moves and arranges Library materials under supervision. (E)
- Assists in keeping the Library clean and neat and the facility and equipment in good repair; submits Helpdesk requests to resolve problems. (E)
- Assists customers in submitting interlibrary loan requests. (E)
- May process 14 day and leased books.
- May conduct presentations, orientation sessions and tours for groups.
- Monitors and stocks brochure display and publicity items.
- Notifies appropriate coworker about low levels of supplies or, if assigned to monitor supplies, coordinates the ordering of supplies as needed. (E)
- Engages customers by creating and maintaining displays that promote Library resources and services.
- Participates in community events on behalf of the Library upon request.
- Follows safe work methods to prevent injury. (E)
- Performs other related duties as required.