GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, NO. 2023-073
|Posting Date: Thursday, April 20, 2023||Application Deadline: Thursday, May 4, 2023|
|Position: Librarian II (MLIS Degree Required), Technical Services/Cataloging, Hughes Main Library||Pay: $43,797 per year, plus benefits|
|Status: Regular Full-time, Exempt||Available: May 2023|
|Location: Hughes Main Library, 25 Heritage Green Place, Greenville, South Carolina|
|Schedule: Mon. – Fri. 8:30a-5:00p. Works 37.5 hours per week|
Under the supervision of the Cataloging/Processing Supervisor, performs original and copy cataloging and classification of a variety of formats. Participates in the maintenance of the Library System’s catalog. Utilizes a variety of computer software programs in performance of these duties. Resolves cataloging and classification issues system wide. Generates a variety of reports to assist in keeping collection statistics, weeding and database usage.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Performs original and complex copy cataloging of a variety of formats including fiction and nonfiction books, compact discs, recorded books, DVDs, Playaways, eBooks, and other eContent. (E).
- Applies principles of the MARC record format as well as AACR2 cataloging rules and RDA cataloging standards to edit bibliographic records in the Library System’s catalog (E).
- Uses Dewey Decimal Classification schedules to check the existing classification number in records for accuracy according to current usage and for compatibility with the Library System’s collection to ensure consistent classification. Corrects or constructs classification numbers based on analysis of subject content when necessary (E).
- Adds local data to each record as well as subject headings and Library of Congress genre form terms to ensure accessibility (E).
- Searches OCLC authority file and transfers appropriate author and subject authority records into Library System’s catalog when needed. Creates local authority records when necessary (E).
- Corrects any errors found in local database, or refers corrections to supervisor (E).
- Assists in planning, evaluating procedures, and defining goals for the Cataloging section.
- Reviews memos and e-mail to keep informed of changes in procedures, policies, and personnel (E).
- Runs reports specific to cataloging to globally update records to reflect current standards and practices, and to revise authority records. (E)
- Ensures that safe work methods are followed to prevent injury (E).
- Performs tasks in accord with Library mission and brand essence behaviors (E).
- Substitutes in any section of Technical Services as needed (E).
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Generates system reports to assist in collection maintenance (E).
- Maintains spreadsheets that keep track of usage statistics for various resources (E).
- Generates reports that contribute to the overall workflow of Technical Services (E).
- Acts as unit liaison in helping other departments by running collection maintenance reports.