Our agency creates affordable housing opportunities for South Carolinas whose needs are not be the market. The South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority (Authority) is responsible for conducting ongoing compliance monitoring of approximately 1000 multi-family rental developments funded through the HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME), Housing Trust Fund (HTF), Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Neighborhood Stabilization (NSP), Small Rental Development (SRDP) and Tax- Exempt Bond (TEB) Programs, throughout the State of South Carolina. The Authority’s responsibilities include ensuring that owners and their properties comply with the terms and conditions of the agreements, contractual obligations and regulatory requirements associated with each program.
This position provides the unique opportunity for a well-qualified applicant to contribute their extensive knowledge, background and experience while also exhibiting their vast knowledge and understanding of the regulatory and compliance requirements of the LIHTC, TEB, HOME, NSP SRDP and HTF programs through the performance of the Authority’s compliance monitoring responsibilities.
Essential duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates and conducts desk and/or on-site reviews of tenant files and onsite physical inspections of properties in the Authority’s LIHTC, TEB, HOME, NSP SRDP and HTF portfolio to ensure owners/agents comply with applicable regulatory and compliance requirements and policy guidance.
- Performs and/or follows-up on physical inspections to determine that owners/agents have remediated exigent health and safety issues.
- Enters required review data into applicable database software.
- Receipt, review, resolution, approval, recordation and follow up for annual HOME and LIHTC rent Approvals submitted by the Owner/Agents.
- Completes, finalizes and provides review results to property owners/agents for appropriate action.
- Conducts follow-up activities to ensure all identified deficiencies are corrected properly and within established timelines.
- Assists with regulatory research and development of review procedures to ensure an effective and efficient review program.
- Works with program management to develop or revise processes to resolve concerns identified during Quality Control reviews or external audits.
- Reviews portfolio at year end for any projects that have completed their compliance period, pulling the physical files and verifying all documentation is on OnBase and disposing of files.
- Assists in addressing and resolving tenant issues/complaints.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
Agency Minimum Qualifications*:
A high school diploma and four (4) years of full-time progressive, professional level experience in affordable housing property management/programs or a related housing field.
* Candidates must specifically meet the Agency Minimum Requirements or an equivalent combination of education and experience to be considered for this position.
Possess a valid SC driver’s license and be able to operate motor vehicles. Must be able to travel throughout the state of South Carolina on a regular basis including overnight travel.
Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively, prioritize tasks, and process time sensitive materials in a fast-paced environment.
Must interpret laws, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to regulatory requirements and contractual obligations.
Can exercise judgment and discretion to make sound decisions supported by facts. Possess strong technical skills, with proficiency in all Microsoft Office products.
Ability to perform complex tasks in Microsoft Access and Excel, such as report design/generation, spreadsheet design/layout and calculations/formulas, and experience accurately keying data into existing databases.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, coworkers, external partners, and customers with a wide range of program related experience.
Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to write letters and other business- related correspondence that are professional in appearance and content.
Maintain organized, accurate, and updated files.
Present training and provide technical assistance to owners/agents through oral presentations conducted at workshops and implementation meetings.
Must be able to lift and carry files, books and reports weighing up to 20 lbs. Must be able to
perform filing, desk work and operate general office equipment. Must be able to sit or stand for prolonged or intermittent periods of time with limited scheduled breaks. Employee must be able to perform these tasks with or without reasonable accommodations. SC Housing is committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, including pregnancy & childbirth (or related medical conditions), age, or disability.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or a related field of study or management experience and industry level certification in the application, oversight or quality control of the compliance requirements associated with Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Tax Exempt Bond (TEB) and HOME Investment Partnership properties.
- Experience in Asset Management.