|Posting Date: Thursday, March 2, 2023||Application Deadline: Thursday, March 16, 2023|
|Position: Branch Supervisor, Librarian II (MLIS Degree Required), Pelham Road Branch Library||Pay: $43,797 per year, plus benefits|
|Status: Regular Full-time, Exempt||Available: March 2023|
|Location: F.W. Symmes Branch Library, 1508 Pelham Road, Greenville, South Carolina|
|Schedule: Mon., Wed., & Thurs. 8:30a-5:00p; Tues. 2:00p-9:00p; and Fri. 8:30a-6:00p. Position works one Sat. per month, 8:30a-6:00p. (Off the Fri. before working on Sat.)|
The employee in this position assists the Branch Manager with scheduling, directing, coaching, and supervising the staff and activities related to the operation of the branch. The staff member embodies the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and employees feel invited, informed, impressed, and inspired. This person greets customers and employees with a welcoming smile and enthusiastically provides knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. The Branch Supervisor serves as the person in charge in the Branch Manager’s absence and supervises part-time staff at the branch. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Assists the Branch Manager with assigning, instructing, directing and supervising branch staff to implement the branch service plan. (E)
- Directly supervises part-time branch staff. (E)
- Provides training for subordinates; reviews performance of subordinates and makes recommendations for improvement/growth as appropriate. (E)
- Assists the Branch Manager with preparing staff schedules, approving leave requests and requesting assistance when supplemental coverage is needed. (E)
- Provides reference service to library patrons, staff and others. (E)
- Assists customers with identifying, locating and using Library materials. (E)
- Provides circulation services, including registering new borrowers, updating customer records, resolving account issues, etc. (E)
- Provides Readers’ Advisory services. (E)
- Assists customers with the use of computer equipment; Windows operating system; MS Office; various Internet browsers; email; and the Library’s website, including the online catalog and databases. (E)
- Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures and rules to customers and employees. (E)
- Assists in various aspects of programming for young adults and/or adults, including planning, organizing, preparing materials, presenting and/or providing instruction. (E)
- Promotes library programs and assists customers in registering for them. (E)
- Coordinates the interviews of applicants for supervised staff positions and makes recommendations for selecting new employees. (E)
- Reads book reviews and makes acquisition recommendations to supervisor. (E)
- Assesses Library materials for needed repair or repackaging and identifies items for discard/replacement. (E)
- Assists the Branch Manager in planning for changes and improvements in unit operations, including budget recommendations and formulation of goals and objectives (E).
- Demonstrates knowledge of computer applications and participates in planning and administration of automation at branch level. (E)
- Assists customers with current mobile device technology and with downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks. (E)
- Makes appropriate referrals to other Library units, agencies, etc., for information or materials not available at work location. (E)
- Opens and closes branch according to established procedures. (E)
- Ensures that branch cleanliness, safety and maintenance issues are reported promptly and properly; submits Help Desk requests to resolve problems. (E)
- Receives and compiles statistics, memos, documentation, reports, correspondence, etc. (E)
- Uses reports generated from the integrated library system (ILS) and other library automation providers to analyze and improve branch operations and services. (E)
- Reviews and studies professional literature to keep abreast of developments in library and information science. (E)
- Answers questions on library operations, policies, and procedures and handles problems and complaints. (E)
- Assists with establishing relationships with organizations and groups in the community to promote library services and programs and participates in community events on behalf of the Library upon request. (E)
- Responsible for the accurate collection and reporting of fines and fees. (E)
- Coordinates use of branch meeting spaces and maintenance of meeting room calendar. (E)
- Works with Volunteer Coordinator to train, schedule and supervise volunteers in the branch as appropriate.
- Operates and assists in maintaining library equipment, including self-checkout stations, public and staff computers, telephones, printers, cash register, photocopier, and audiovisual equipment. Provides instruction and demonstrates use as needed. (E)
- Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, conferences, etc., as requested by supervisor and/or as funds are available. (E)
- Assists in conducting inventory of Library collections. (E)
- Ensures safe work methods are followed to prevent injury. (E)
- Works a schedule that meets the needs of the unit. (E)
- Engages customers by creating and maintaining displays that promote Library resources and services.
- May conduct presentations, orientation sessions and tours for groups.
- Performs other related duties as required.