This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are under consideration and need not reapply.**
The SC State Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing) helps families across the state obtain affordable, safe housing. Our staff is passionate about creating solutions that truly make a difference in the lives of others! We are seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic attorney to serve as an Assistant General Counsel. Under limited supervision of General Counsel, this position:
- Provides legal advice for SC Housing to General Counsel, Program Directors, staff, and the Executive Director.
- Provides assistance with legal aspects of the issuance/sale of the SC Housing’s bonds.
- Assists in supervision of bond counsel and disclosure counsel in the preparation and review of documents required for the issuance and sale of SC Housing’s notes and bonds.
- Assists with the program area that handles multifamily development.
- Drafts official actions & proposed legislation as needed.
- Formulates/drafts policies, procedures and legal documents for program areas.
- Serves as legal liaison with other governmental entities. Interprets complex legislation, regulations and documents for the federally funded program areas.
- Conducts legal research and approves staff program manuals.
- Serves as primary Freedom of Information Act contact.
- Serves on special task forces, committees and other related duties as assigned.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
Agency Minimum qualifications*:
A Juris Doctor degree or its equivalent from an accredited law school and a minimum of three (3) years of full time experience as a practicing attorney. Must be an active member and in good standing with the South Carolina Bar. Must have completed 403 requirements.
* Candidates must specifically meet the Agency Minimum Requirements or an equivalent combination of education and experience to be considered for this position.
SC Housing requires an extensive background check to include, State Law Enforcement Division background check, South Carolina Department of Revenue tax check, South Carolina Department of Public Safety 10 Year Driver’s Record Check and status report from the South Carolina Commission on Lawyer Conduct. Candidates who are considered for the position may be asked to obtain certain documents to complete the background check.
Knowledge in interpreting federal and state laws and regulations. Must be well organized with a demonstrated ability to work independently. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications. Some overnight travel required.
Must be able to lift and carry files, books and reports weighing up to 20 lbs. Must be able to perform filing, desk work and operate general office equipment. Must be able to sit or stand for prolonged or intermittent periods of time while sharing, gathering or presenting information to other staff members or external parties. Employee must be able to perform these tasks with or without reasonable accommodations. SC Housing is committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age (40+) or disability, sex (Including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity).
A minimum of 4 years as a practicing attorney with real estate experience, affordable housing development or government agency experience is preferred. Working knowledge of federal housing programs and Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code. Knowledge of Real estate documentation.