Position with: Spartanburg Housing Authority
SUMMARY: The maintenance technician position is responsible for performing routine repairs and maintenance under limited supervision.
Objective: To perform highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain housing communities within the Spartanburg Housing Authority.
Major Tasks & Area of Responsibility:
- Respond quickly and courteously to resident requests for maintenance service, troubleshoot the source difficulty, and take appropriate action to repair and/or restore service within the quality and time standards established for the community.
- Must practice safety precautions and be safety conscious at all times.
- Perform required planned and corrective (repair) maintenance to building surfaces, fixtures, systems, and equipment.
- Perform equipment planned maintenance tasks such as: checking for proper equipment operation; lubricating bearings; changing air filters; and cleaning heat exchanger and condenser coils.
- Perform electrical and plumbing system planned maintenance tasks such as: inspecting plumbing fixtures for leaks and repairs; checking drain lines to insure that they are free of obstruction; checking appliances for proper operation; testing light switches and electrical outlets; and conducting ground fault detection tests.
- Perform such mechanical tasks as repairing and/or replacing space temperature and HVAC equipment controls.
- Perform such carpentry work as: installing windows; replacing/repairing door and window hardware; re-glazing windows; handrails; repairing roofs, gutters, and downspouts; replacing floor tiles; and patching plaster walls and ceilings.
- Perform such masonry work as: patching cracked concrete; replacing broken masonry block and ceramic tiles; re-grouting ceramic tile; and sealing concrete and exterior brick walls.
- Perform sheet rock repair tasks as: installing and repairing dry wall, bends and feathers edges to match surrounding surfaces.
- Perform such plumbing task as: replacing faucet washers, seats, stems, spigots, and hardware; resetting commodes; tubs, and sinks; repairing water leaks; replacing and/or repairing flush valves or flush tank hardware; and clearing clogged drains and soil lines.
- Perform miscellaneous maintenance related tasks for a variety of situations as directed by immediate supervisor such as: servicing and/or repairing cleaning equipment; servicing and/or repairing vehicles; and repairing work tools and equipment.
- Perform such painting tasks as: preparing surfaces for painting by patching plaster holes, sanding, scraping, or masking. Performs minor paint jobs.
- Performs necessary manual labor to keep housing projects in a decent, safe, and sanitary condition including picking up trash and debris.
- Utilizes a wide range of powered and non-powered hand tools such as drills, sanders, sewage line cleaners, saws, hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, oilers, and volt-ohm-amp meters.
- Operates and make all installations and repairs in accordance with local, state, and national codes.
- Participates in off-shift and weekend emergency maintenance coverage as required.
- Assists other maintenance employees as required.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK: This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None.
TRAVEL: Travel is not usually required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High School Diploma or GED.
2. Two-year degree in mechanical, electrical, and industrial maintenance.
3. Any equivalent combination of experience, education and training.
4. 4+ years of manufacturing experience; strong hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical and industrial skills with some PLC experience and HVAC.
5. Must possess a valid SC Driver's License to operate a vehicle from the SHA pool.
6. Additional training and education as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.