Field Organizer, Immigrant Policy
Position with: SC Appleseed
SC Appleseed is seeking to contract with a part time Field Organizer to work with our Immigrant Policy Program to coordinate grassroots, community-driven advocacy and engagement efforts around issues of Immigrants Rights in South Carolina.
Salary: Contract position with negotiated hours
Closing Date of Position: When filled
Broad areas of work include:
- --Long-term relationship building and leadership development among the Immigrant population both documented and undocumented.
- --Long-term relationship building among like-minded groups and supportive organizations.
- --Grassroots advocacy campaigns engaging supporters to take action on Immigrant policy issues both in state and nationally.
- --Increasing awareness and understanding on issues of the Immigrants who live with us in our state.
- --The Field Organizer will report to the Director of Immigrant Policy and will also work in close collaboration with the Director of Strategic Initiatives and field team, other Appleseed staff organizers, and community partners.
- --Coordinate and support grassroots engagement in advocacy campaigns on issues important to those affected by both state and federal immigration policy.
- --Identify, build, and mobilize a base of affected individuals and caring supportive community who are touched by proposed changes to immigration policy.
- --Set and meet benchmarks for grassroots engagement, volunteer recruitment, and leadership development.
- --Connect work in South Carolina with national networks and campaigns.
- --Work with the Director of Field Operations, organizing team, and the Legal team to ensure short-term grassroots campaigns are connected with a long-term vision for capacity building and leadership development among affected populations.
- --Identify opportunities for collaboration on issue-based organizing and civic engagement among community leaders, organizations, and individuals statewide.
- --With the Director of Resource Development and Communication create effective systems for tracking data, contacts, and community engagement within the work.
- --Be available for weekly meetings with at least once a month in person.
SC Appleseed is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. SC Appleseed complies with all Federal and State employment regulations.
--Bachelor’s degree and/or three (3) years experience in the nonprofit field required.
--At least two (2) years experience with grassroots field organizing preferred.
--A facilitator with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a range of personalities and skill levels to build consensus from diverse groups and produce high quality results.
--Experience working with communities and leaders from diverse backgrounds (e.g., immigrant, multicultural, rural/urban).
--A self-starter with lots of initiative who can manage multiple projects, next steps, and deadlines.
--A strategic thinker who always keeps the big picture in mind.
--A leader who develops leadership in others and can manage from strategic to tactical levels.
--Experience training and managing volunteers and interns is a plus.
--A valid driver’s license and a flexible schedule with the ability to work some evenings, weekends, and travel around the state.
--Spanish language fluency.
--Demonstrated skills utilizing database systems, and other programs including online advocacy tools is a plus.
--A team player who is curious, creative, energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive.
--Effected individuals urged to apply.