Position with: United Ministries
The Employment Counselor position assists individuals - often low-income - who are traveling the path toward self-sufficiency especially by providing instruction, coaching, and support focused on finding and keeping quality employment. Although employment is a primary goal, careful attention is given to other interrelated factors of self-sufficiency as well, including financial skills and resources, transportation, wellness, and others.
This position works within an agency-wide Integrated Service Model that emphasizes the delivery of multiple types of services (e.g., crisis assistance, employment, education, financial literacy, etc.) in one location. Excellent applicants will have a discerning and compassionate spirit, as well as experience in human services. United Ministries’ mission is to serve and empower those on the transformative journey to self-sufficiency. Our vision is a community working together to ensure that all people have the opportunity to thrive in Greenville.
- • Assist with facilitating the weekly entry orientation.
- • Effectively teach weekly employability classes. Coordinate and collaborate with other program staff and assisting volunteers. Use accompanying PowerPoint and printed materials.
- • Maintain a schedule of appointments, classes, and other responsibilities independently.
- • Meet individually with participants to build rapport, identify barriers to financial stability, develop appropriate goals, and identify necessary steps for achievements of goals.
- • Address needs and barriers to employment, such as transportation, child care, criminal backgrounds, computer skills, and mental health issues. Provide participants with job leads, resume assistance, financial education, supportive services, referrals related to barrier removal and training opportunities, and general counseling as appropriate. If necessary, act as an advocate on behalf of participants concerning barrier removal.
- • Provide case management for participants enrolled in job training courses. Communicate with training providers and course instructors.
- • Provide follow-up services, including ongoing case management, to ensure job retention and long-term success.
- • Maintain accurate, complete, and updated case files for each participant in the agency database.
- • Submit accurate reports and tracking on a monthly basis.
- • Utilize resume software. Possess an understanding of online employment listings and applications.
Within the Team
- • Participate in team meetings and projects to improve the services provided and opportunities available to participants.
- • Communicate regularly with other team members concerning individual participants and program offerings.
Within the Agency
- • Participate in all agency-wide meetings and special events as able.
- • Maintain a clean, orderly, and professional work environment.
- • Maintain up-to-date knowledge of services offered through other programs at United Ministries and connect participants with these services when appropriate.
- • Believe in and act in accordance with the values and mission of United Ministries.
- • Maintain and create relationships with other agencies in Greenville.
- • Remain informed of current employment issues in Greenville and contact agencies/businesses as needed to promote Employment Readiness and/or individual participants.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Demonstrated skill in working with large groups, small groups, and individuals.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with diversity and assist people facing barriers of all types.
• Demonstrated skill with public speaking, as well as teaching to and engaging a group.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Integrity and discretion.
• Regular and sustained attendance.
• Demonstrated skill with time management, planning, organization, and follow-up.