OVERARCHING GOALS OF THE FINANCIAL STABILITY TEAM:
- To facilitate financial literacy education in the community.
- Build community collaborations to increase access to services and resources.
- Certus Bank
- CommunityWorks SC
- Greenville County Library System
- New York Life Insurance
- State Farm
- Team developed a basic financial literacy course in Spanish geared towards educating recent immigrants and lower-income individuals and connect them to resources. 9 individuals graduated from the pilot program and the next series is scheduled to start in October 2014.
- Established trilingual VITA site at San Sebastian. In 2014 alone 125 returns were filed, totaling a refund amount of $146,865, with $18,150 saved in tax prep fees.
Want to join the Financial Team? Fill out this form and we’ll be in touch!
ABOUT OUR CHAIR
Originally from Knoxville, Tennessee, Alex graduated from Wofford College with a double major in Spanish and Government and a minor in Latin American and Caribbean Studies. She began at CommunityWorks as an Americorps VISTA in 2012 to help build the capacity of the organization. Alex currently works with the newly founded CommunityWorks Federal Credit Union to grow its membership and promote financial capability in Greenville. Additionally, she manages CW’s marketing and outreach efforts to better serve the community.